[RTTY] Quick Check of TS-590S Frequency Calibration

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Quick Check of TS-590S Frequency Calibration
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:07:23 -0600
The following is a copy of my posting to the Kenwood TS-590S discussion group
that may be of interest to RTTY contesters.  I do not want to start a debate
over the W1AW signal. My quick check on 19-Feb gave me assurance that my rig
was calibrated close enough for amateur use.

Dick AA5VU

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
> Subject: Quick Check of TS-590S Frequency Calibration
> Date: February 20, 2013 8:56:50 AM CST
> To: Kenwood TS-590S <KenwoodTS-590@yahoogroups.com>

If you would like to make quick check of your TS-590's frequency calibration,
just tune to one of the W1AW bulletins and note you rig's frequency.  The
bulletins can be heard at:

Digital Transmissions: http://www.arrl.org/digital-transmissions
Code Transmissions: http://www.arrl.org/code-transmissions
Voice Transmissions: http://www.arrl.org/voice-transmissions

Try it… the price (free) is right.  Just be sure your rig is warm, not cold.

After reading some of the recent postings about WWV accuracy, I realized it has
been over a year since I calibrated my TS-590S with SO-3 TXCO installed to WWV
and it was time to do it again. I do not care for the Kenwood suggested (listen
to tones) procedure in the manual so I used the fldigi Frequency Analysis
option.

http://www.qsl.net/aa5vu/fldigi-FreqAnalysis.png

My TS-590S had drifted a little over the past year and I managed to get it
re-calibrated. Yes, the pot in the SO-3 is very touchy. I kept the cover
attached but moved back for access to the tuning pot.

As a quick sanity check I tuned to the W1AW bulletins and noted the CW, PSK-31
and Voice frequencies were on-the-money but RTTY was a little off frequency.
This lead to a discussion between the W1AW Station Manager, W1HKJ the fldigi
developer and some observers, like me. The bottom line is the W1AW Station
Manager has adjusted the station's fldigi macro that handles the band/mode
changes and all is working correct.

On 19-Feb-2013 at 2330z, I tuned to W1AW's "RTTY" Mark signal an it was
on-the-money at 14095.000.  If you are using FSK RTTY, the "Mark" is your rig's
dial frequency. If you are using AFSK RTTY, note your software's operating
frequency offset.  In fldigi the RTTY "Mark" is the right track on the spectral
display and it is the displayed (and logged) QSO or Operating frequency.

Try it…. the price is right. If you are close to the W1AW stated frequency,
don't worry about it. If not close you may want to re-calibrate your rig to WWV.

73 Dick AA5VU