Re: [RTTY] Hyphens ( was Contesting too long?)

To: "Fabi va2up" <va2up@live.ca>, <al9a@mtaonline.net>, <n0as.dx@gmail.com>, "rtty contesting rttycontesting" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Hyphens ( was Contesting too long?)
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 15:59:14 -0500
The space/hyphen debate is well covered in the archives.

But for me, the biggest help I can offer to a new guy is to put a space before
and after their transmission.  When a guy replies to
my CQ with his call sign (in some cases just once) and not offset by spaces, I
am left to decipher where the guy's call starts and
stops.

Of course, in a perfect SNR case, the copy will be perfect and it's easy to
squelch the screen to avoid jibbish - so the space is
not so critical.  But in the more "normal" case, especially with DX, you will
have the squelch either off or set very low.  And here
that extra space before and after is what offsets your call from the noise.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com