Re: [RTTY] CWSkimmer use in Rtty

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CWSkimmer use in Rtty
From: Don AA5AU <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 11:34:12 -0700 (PDT)
I would love a RTTY skimmer.  I can't believe Chen hasn't invented it yet!

The problem with trying to find the QSX these days using a spectrum display (or
even by tuning) is that a lot of people are still calling after the DX has sent
his report or continue to call even knowing the DX is working someone else.

A big problem with RTTY, of course, is that you could be calling the DX, drop
your transmit and not know the DX station had already come back to someone
else, so you call again, basically wasting RF and losing a sense of what's
going on.  What we do in New Orleans, is for everyone to monitor the Delta DX
2-meter repeater.  The first one to work the DX becomes the person who tells
everyone else when the DX is transmitting so the rest can stop calling, look
for where the DX is working or gear up for the next call.  Sunday with ST0R on
17 meter RTTY, I got through first in the group but my 2 meter handheld was not
making the repeater, so I got on the telephone with Mike, W5ZPA, and told him
when the DX started to transmit.  Mike quickly made a contact.  Then,
the second person to make a contact becomes a "spotter" to tell everyone what
frequency the DX is working AND/OR to find a clear frequency for others to call
on.  Another thing the repeater
 helps is for everyone to know where the other club members are transmitting so
we don't call on top of each other.  This has worked very well through the
years and at one time we had seven members on the RTTY Honor Roll (we presently
have four).  On Sunday, I believe every member of the club that tried on RTTY
worked them through this spotting assistance on the repeater.
 Other than the W4BVH CW beacon on 18100 on Sunday, I didn't see a lot of
people calling on his frequency and we basically behaved ourselves.  I've seen
much worse, so congrats to ourselves to being smart operators on Sunday.  I
think everyone has made the mistake of being on the wrong VFO at one time or
another in our pursuit of DX.  It seemed on Sunday that those in error figured
it out quickly and got with the program.

Now if we can only do something about that beacon.

73, Don AA5AU