Re: [RTTY] Self spotting outside of a contest?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Self spotting outside of a contest?
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 00:53:56 -0500
I find this issue about the same as the power vs. QRP or assisted vs.
unassisted in contesting.   What I mean by that is there is no
clear "right" or "wrong" here.  It, in my thinking, comes back to personal
operation style.  As long as you are playing by the
published rules of the road, then all options are free choices for each of us
to make.

I don't see anything wrong with self spotting if it's not specifically
precluded by the event guidelines (as is frequently the case
in contests).  I don't recall a rule, for example, in the DXCC rules
prohibiting it.  Just as I don't see anything against a guy
running QRP or HP, unassisted or assisted, SO2R or SO1R, or using email to
arrange skeds.

All of these are just choices that individuals may make - as part of the
freedom of choice in a wide ranging hobby like this.

I do think is important is that a guy be honest about what he's doing.
Especially in contests.  If you are running HP, claim a HP
category.  If you are assisted, then enter as assisted.

But please don't try to push your traditional views onto others who are playing
by the rules of the game.  Which means, if the idea
of others self-spotting is troublesome, then the best solution is to turn off
that cluster feed.  That solves your problem 100.0%!

The world needs less top down regulation and more personal responsibility.
Fortunately, in radio, we have the chance to do just
that.

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com