Re: [RTTY] PC components suitable for radio room use?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] PC components suitable for radio room use?
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 15:43:12 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:36:49 -0500, "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>.  This is not a "free" solution (each clamp on is around $3) - but if you are
>looking for a "hardened" pc, this
>will get you very far down the road to that end.

REPLY:

Another trick for RFI prevention - almost free - is to keep the transceiver and
computer physically close to each other and bonded together with a short ground
wire. In my shack, 160 meters is unusable above about 400 watts without the
above. Another free precaution is to plug the computer power and transceiver
power cords into the same AC outlet. Both of these simple tricks help prevent
the accidental creation of a small loop antenna between the computer and
transceiver. If you still have RFI problems, then go with the ferrites.

73, Bill W6WRT