Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY
From: "Jeff Blaine AC0C" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 15:01:41 -0500
Thank you Chen, I am happy to have remembered the summary of your earlier
comments.

I find using an extremely narrow crystal filter to be difficult for the
tuning reason you mentioned.  In S&P especially, contest exchanges may not
be very long in duration making tuning with an extremely sharp crystal
filter actually counter productive.

My preference is to use a bit wider filter, about 300-500 hz, for the
crystal side.  And then let the demod program DSP "pull" the signal from
that - my experience (limited by this group standards, of course) is that
the MMTTY program when presented with a pretty small window can AFC well in
cooperation with the operator - if the bandwidth from the rig (either rig
crystal or DSP sourced) has both tones within this 300-500 hz passband.

Maybe some day I will upgrade to Mac so I can use Coco.  Right?

73/jeff/ac0c