Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com, DONALD A HILL <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 200 hz filter on RTTY
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:43:26 -0400
 > I use 250, with an Inrad filter, all the time for RTTY.  Any wider
 > than that is too wide for me.

Most of the INRAD "250 Hz" filters are actually 325-275 Hz wide at
the - 6dB points as the "250 Hz" is based on cascading a pair of
filters in the IF (i.e., Yaesu or Kenwood style).

As documented by Chen, a 325 - 350 Hz "roofing filter" is a very
good design for 45.45 baud 170 Hz shift RTTY.  It provides good
selectivity while preserving most of the signal energy in the
keying sidebands.

When talking about RTTY bandwidth, care needs to be taken in
defining terms ... even a 200 Hz crystal filter like the one
produced by Elecraft (a true 200 Hz, 5-pole design) can be
useful if the skirts eliminate QRM more rapidly than they
cut signal energy in the keying sidebands.

When talking about DSP filters, the "bandwidth" is more critical
as many DSP filters have much steeper skirts than those in
practical crystal filters.  DSP filters can exhibit skirt
selectivity comparable to the 10 dB/100 Hz slopes in the
Elecraft implementation.  Such sharp skirts would make a true
200 Hz DSP filter a poor choice for RTTY.  On the other hand,
if the skirts were "softer" like those in some Icom implementations
(or Yaesu's "soft" filters), a 250 Hz DSP filter might work well
in heavy QRM.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV