Re: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY

To: Jeff Blaine AC0C <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL RTTY
From: Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:47:39 -0800
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Jeff Blaine AC0C
<keepwalking188@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do understand SO2R basics, but for the specific mode RTTY - where the
> machine is doing the decode work, I wanted to see if there was something
> other than the obvious that I was missing...

I think that the thing that's fundamentally different about RTTY (and
other "digital modes"), vs. CW and SSB, is that you're using your eyes
rather than your ears to receive the messages, and that your eyes can
scan back over what you previously received ("go back in time") where
your ears can't - if you didn't hear it when it arrived, it's gone -
for me, anyway. This makes things like interleaved QSOs very easy,
even for a novice like me.

    ~Iain / N6ML