Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs

To: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 23:37:33 -0500
Joe,

I understand your position and what you are saying. But it if we carry it to
the ultimate conclusion, then we should lump the HP, LP, and QRPers back into
an all encompassing Single Operator class. What difference does it make?
They're all a "Single Operator".

Yes, I agree you need to avoid the opposite extreme, like you cited - "a trophy
for everyone". There needs to be a middle ground of fairness and balance that
encourages participation in the radiosport. Does either extreme encourage
participation? No!

You're talking about Ohio State and U of Mn... well fine. Let me put this in a
more realistic perspective... yesterday I was at the Handi-Ham Courage Center
in Golden Valley, MN  http://www.courage.org/  teaching a General Amateur
license class. Prior to starting the class, I toured the facility. I was
immediately struck by the environment of encouragement, mentoring, and
achievements I say hanging on the walls, rooms, and in the corridors.

I stopped for more than a moment to look at one particular picture. It was a
wheel chair volleyball tournament where the photographer caught the excitement
in the eyes and faces of the competitors. I seriously doubt there was any
expectation by these participants they would need to, as you said, "work extra
in the weight room, run extra, work with strength and quickness coaches... etc."

Would they every rise to the challenge of becoming the world volleyball
champions? No, they won't be appearing in the World League. But they were
building skills, having fun, and were competitive within their environment. Do
you REALLY think awarding them recognition will somehow diminish the
achievement of those competitors who DO make it to the top of the World League?

73 de Bob - K0RC in MN