Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] single op, 1 radio, 2 recvrs
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:13:18 -0500
Come on John, where did you get that from? I/We am NOT objecting to SO2R. Not
the least. It's a great skill to develop. And a great advantage once you have a
good handle on it. SO2R elevates you to the top of the "pack". As a matter of
fact, one of the 2006 WRTC teams lost their second receiver within hours of the
start of the competition. In their event summary, they confessed this
effectively took them out of the competition. What more endorsement do you need
that SO2R is a different class?

What I do object to is lumping everyone into the same category. This situation
does not help promote the radiosport. Many real world comparisons have been
shown that "Single Operator" is not an exclusive qualifier. I don't need to
repeat them again. Some of the contest sponsors have already recognized this
and made adjustments. "Expert Class" is one example of a step in the right
direction. "Tribanders and wires" is another example.

Is it the need to have a lot of "chad" in the box? If you're Top Ten out of
1,500 competitors maybe that "feels" a lot better than "Top Ten" out of 300
competitors? I say, let the other 1200 operators compete with their "similar
kind" and not be run over by the steamrollers. This will help promote the
radiosport. Whether you're Top Ten out of 1,500, 300, or 15... in my book
you're Top Ten, period.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 6