Re: [RTTY] Soundcard Query

To: Contesting <contesting@m5aav.org.uk>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Soundcard Query
From: Jim Rhodes <k0xu@longlines.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 23:27:28 -0500
Are you sure that the on board sound is disabled and not just
deselected? In other words, did the installation process for the new
sound card assign it the functions which had been performed by the on
board system? Try pulling up the expanded volume control panel and
checking the properties menu to see if there are now 2 sound cards
being controlled. If there are you need to shift the "muzak"
functions back to the on board and leave the ham stuff on the added
(usually the "-1" selection) sound card.

At 05:27 PM 10/15/2007, Contesting wrote:
>Greetings RTTYers
>
>The system here has an AC97 builtin soundcard, which, while adequate is
>as we all know not exactly top drawer.
>
>As I also run soundcard software [MixW] for Amateur Radio datamodes, it
>has had to perform multiple functions, even though the settings change
>from application to application - something now easily controlled by
>'Quick Mix'.
>

>Now the idea was as follows. Install a second soundcard for Datamodes,
>leaving the AC97 for 'muzak', and a friend has kindly supplied me with a
>Soundblaster Live, which has been duly installed.
>
>The only problem is,  that it has disabled the AC97 [seemingly a
>bios/motherboard function, leaving me back where I was. Does any kind
>soul on here know how to 're-enable' the AC97 to allow the simultaneous
>use of both soundcards, allowing me to select which is the 'system
>default' and which I want to use for specific applications/ [MixW will
>allow this switching/selection if only it could see the AC97 as well.]
>
>Thanks
>
>Graham M5AAV
>
>--

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim@rhodesend.net

Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone.