Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: "'Jay Kloss'" <n4cbk.jay@gmail.com>,"'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:17:52 -0400
Jay,

Putting aside all the other stuff ...

> Anyone running N1MM or Writelog have these features
> available to them. And in fact, most of the "computer logging"
> software you mention is capable of performing these functions.

Anyone running N1MM, Writelog, Win-Test, CTWin, etc. also have
SO2R features available to them.  Just as some phone operators
choose not to make the wave files necessary to use voice keying,
not all operators choose to connect the added hardware (second
radio) to do SO2R.  That's their choice.

> You also have suggested that SO2R is just another tool and
> equivalent to having a "voice keyer, memory keyer, Digital
> Voice keyer, computer logging". I would submit that SO2R is
> mostly skill.

I believe technique and hardware are interchangeable tools to
maximize one's score.  AA5AU has used technique and one set of
hardware (SO2R) to compete effectively against those who have
chosen a different mix of technique and tools.  Why should one
set of tools (antennas) to be allowed in any category while
another set (SO2R) be relegated to a separate category?  Why
should any operator be required to eschew one set of tools -
particularly what you call a "skill" (that may have taken many
years to perfect) - in order to participate in the largest and
most competitive classification (single-operator)?

> You also used the NFL football analogy, saying in essence that
> we are all in one Big League, and all at the same level of
> fitness, age, and human ability. I was a 225 pound linebacker
> on a state championship team and gave many a quarterback a nice
> big bear-hug and helped him attach turf-grass to his face-mask.
> Should my skill-set be compared to the Pee-Wees? Do I want them
> to?  In fact, you say, "you might as well start imposing
> height/weight/speed/strength restrictions on those who play
> in the NFL." But we aren't in the NFL. We _are_ in the Pee-Wee's,
> Gray-Y, Highschool, college, AND the NFL, all at the same time.

The single operator category of any contest is already the NFL -
or the "Open Championship" of the contesting world.  By separating
SO2R and not big antennas or CW Keyers or operators who can send
CW with both hands or operators who can type more than 60 WPM,
you are simply saying to a portion of the "teams" in the league,
you've become too good at kicking off - your kicker can't use his
right (dominant) leg.

Like golf, you don't prohibit a Tiger Woods from using his big
driver just because some weekend hacker doesn't have one or
hasn't mastered its use.  The hacker, if he chooses, can still
enter the qualifier and take his shot.  He can use any legal
equipment or skill that he posses in his quest to win the big
one.  Now, he may never compete with Woods or the other elite
players but he has entered the same tournament and he may even
get as much (or more) satisfaction from doing his best even if
he doesn't end up in the top 10 (or 20, 30 or even 100).

> Anyone still running a Model 15? Got a paper log? Hardly. In
> these areas the playing field is rather level without much
> expense or effort.

They may not be running a model 15 ... but there are a lot of
beginners still running a KAM or PK232 with software other than
the top of the line contest programs.  Some are still using
a "terminal program" and logging on paper.  They'll probably
advance ... heaven forbid, some may even advance to SO2R or
build big antennas if doing so doesn't somehow single them
out.

I keep going back to Don's experience - not all operators can
build big antenna farms.  Contesting is about using all of the
tools and skill the operator can manage.  The better operators
have always used skill - whether it be a better understanding
of propagation, the ability to hear weaker signals, the ability
to copy more than one station at a time, or the ability to stay
more alert - to outperform other operators with better hardware.
It hasn't always been the biggest antenna farm or the newest
rig, etc. that has taken the day.  Take away the ability to
use skill, strategy, agility, etc. and you might as well turn
the NFL into UFC because nothing more than raw strength and
aggression will matter.

Giving the little guy a chance to develop his own set of tools
is the right way.  You don't want every player on a football
team to be a 250 pound linebacker ... you need the 300 pound
lineman,  the 4.3 tailback, the 6'8" wide receiver and the
5'6" 160# place-kicker to have a complete team.