Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: "'Jay Kloss'" <n4cbk.jay@gmail.com>,"'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:47:12 -0400
> I would be willing to bet that the guys who are running SO2R are
> judging their relative success by comparing their scores to the other
> guys who run SO2R. And I guarantee you that they know who their
> competition is. So, in a sense, they likely already consider
> themselves in another 'category', another higher level of excellence
> and expertise. Creating an 'official' SO2R category seems like an easy
> step to make if you are a contest sponsor. And quite frankly, it would
> simply be thrilling to watch the scores from contest to contest as
> these incredible SO2R operators compete.

Not again ...

SO2R is simply one more tool to maximize a score.  To paraphrase:
I'm willing to bet that those who have (monoband, stacks, etc.) yagi
antennas are judging their relative success by comparing their
scores to the other guys who run (monoband, stacks, etc.) yagi
antennas.  And I guarantee you that they know who their competition
is."  I can guarantee they don't care who their competition is -
they are simply there to make the most QSOs and generate the
biggest score they can as a single operator.

The same is true with SO2R ... AA5AU has commented more than once
that since he could not possibly have a big antenna farm, he adopted
SO2R to allow him to compete against the guys with big antennas
(he does might well <G>).  SO2R is in no way, nor should it be,
a "separate class."  It is but another tool like a separate
receiver, memory keyer, Digital Voice keyer, computer logging, etc.
that allows the operator to be more efficient and any time someone
starts to limit the tools available to the operator you might as
well start imposing height/weight/speed/strength restrictions on
those who play in the NFL.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV