Re: [RTTY] Using Windows Contesting Software on a Mac

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Using Windows Contesting Software on a Mac
From: "Peter Laws" <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:10:31 -0500
On 8/16/07, Mike Brown <mike@k9mi.com> wrote:
> Richard, a friend of mine, who moved to El Paso ran a Mac, and he used
> WriteLog in Windows emulation mode (is that what it's called???). I know he
> had some way like that, maybe I'm not using the right terms though. That

The current "hot" emulator is Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/).
It runs a virtual machine onto which you load your favorite version of
MS-Windows (a legal copy of course!).  No muss, no fuss.  It may
support loading Linux distributions as well.

There is or was an older product called SoftWindows that did the same
thing, but I think that's gone now.

MS offers VirtualPC (originally created by Connectix).

All allow you to run MS-Windows apps in the emulator.  I have no idea
how audio-based modes would be handled, nor how real serial ports
would work.  USB should be fine.

The other way to do it is to run Apple's Boot Camp which lets you
*boot* your Mac into MS-Windows.

For RTTY, the better way would be to just run cocoaModem.  The guy
that wrote that is right here on this list.  I don't know what contest
logging is built in, but IIRC, the author of the software scores
pretty well in contests, so there must be something there.  :-)

Peter
Husband of a Mac user

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY | plaws0 gmail | Travel by Train!

"They that can give up essential Liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin