Re: [RTTY] New radio from Elecraft, the K3,looks REALLY good for RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New radio from Elecraft, the K3,looks REALLY good for RTTY
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:17:05 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:41:24 -0400 (EDT), Doug Faunt N6TQS
 +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com> wrote:

>You may be unaware of that Elecraft has unveiled a new radio, the K3.
>The relevance here is that it appears that ALL the deficiencies of the
>K2 for RTTY have been remedied in the K3, and it should be an
>outstanding radio in all respects.  I suspect it's going to be THE
>radio for serious RTTY in fairly short order.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Looks very good on paper. I'd like to see a head to head comparison
with the IC-756Pro3. By the time you add all the options the Pro3
comes with, the price would be about the same. One thing that caught
my eye is that the panadaptor (spectrum display) will be a separate
box on the K3 (when available) whereas the Pro3 has it built in.
Having used one for about a year now, I wouldn't be without it. When
the band is dead - or you think it is - it will be your best friend.

One interesting item in the FAQ: You can send RTTY or PSK with a CW
paddle! The radio converts the paddle input into the proper data mode
characters and sends them. It also has a built in demodulator for each
so no computer is required. Data modes without a computer? What will
they think of next? :-)

Bill W6WRT
certified ICOMaholic