Re: [RTTY] N8S changing software

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] N8S changing software
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:34:14 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 07:56:56 -0700, Kok Chen <chen@mac.com> wrote:

>There was a change of op at about that time.
>
>The op earlier was SV2BFN and at about 2 am local time here, he
>announced they were going off the air for a short while to change op
>and refill the generator.  I went to bed at about then since I'd
>worked them on 30m RTTY already the day before.
<snip>

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I'm sure they changed software too. They are apparently using MMTTY,
and depending on how the PTT is configured, sometimes it will have a
long "tail" at the end of the transmission and sometimes not. When
they changed ops, the "tail" disappeared.

MMTTY has a teensy little bug in that it allows you to set up
simultaneous software PTT and hardware PTT. This can result in the
long "tail". Use one or the other and you're ok. I much prefer
hardware PTT, but that's just me. In my experience, hardware PTT works
perfectly every time whereas software PTT is a wee bit flakey,
probably due to polling interval settings. Perhaps with some careful
tweaking it might work better, but hardware PTT is dead solid
reliable.

Congrats on all the bands worked on RTTY. I only have them on 30, 20
and 17 RTTY. I would really like to work them on 160 RTTY. Think how
rare that one would be!

Bill W6WRT