Re: [RTTY] IARU and 14100 Beacon QRM from Digital Signals

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] IARU and 14100 Beacon QRM from Digital Signals
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 10:46:02 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 08:02:45 -0400, Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
 wrote:

>This may be hard to do in a contest. "In a nice way" is hard to get
>across sometimes, especially when people are in a hurry.
>
>Many contest operators are courteous, and will move their operations
>if politely requested for good reason. There's a few stubborn ones
>who won't.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

If we want to be really serious about this, contest rules should
declare a "guard band" around the beacons, and stations violating it
should be publicly disqualified. To avoid call spoofing, a station
would only be disqualified if the observed on-the-air QRM matched the
time, call and frequency of the log submission.

"Gentlemen's agreements" are fine in theory but they simply do not
work in a high pressure situation. You know it, I know it, everyone
knows it, but some folks insist that's the way to go. Ask the 160
meter crowd how successful they are.

Bill, W6WRT
a scrupulous avoider of beacon frequencies