Re: [RTTY] MixW com port question

To: Jerry <no2t@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] MixW com port question
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 13:30:30 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

At 05:23 AM 3/4/2006, Jerry wrote:

>Bill
>         In the configuration menu (V-2.16), open the FSK tab. This
> gives you a
>choice of comm port and PTT control.
>
>         73 de Jerry NO2T

(Sound of light bulb coming on)

Finally got it, thanks!!

It's easy once you figure it out... isn't everything?

Here's what confused me: I had com3 set for FSK output and com1 to
read the VFO. I didn't want software PTT on com1 so I unchecked the
box. I then went to the "Configure Secondary PTT port" and tried to
tell it to use com3. It gave me an error message that it could not use com3.

The problem was semantics. To me "secondary PTT port" meant a second
one instead of the software PTT on com1. What it actually means is
secondary to a pre-existing hardware com port. The other confusing
factor is you set your hardware PTT by going to the Configure>FSK
port menu. If it said Configure>FSK/PTT port I would have found it
immediately.

I wonder how many others have been confused by this? Just adding
"PTT" to the "FSK port" menu would save a lot of looking.

Thanks again, Jerry.

73, Bill W6WRT