Re: [RTTY] AGC: on or off?

To: "'Peter Laws'" <plaws0@gmail.com>, "'RTTY'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] AGC: on or off?
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:02:15 -0600
Having read all the replies to this one, I'm not sure I agree with using FAST
AGC (or at least the fastest) for RTTY.  I have found that I copy better with a
medium-fast range AGC.  In the PRO III I have my AGC set to Medium (default
value of .5 second) and it seems to work better than when using FAST (default
value of .1 second).  I haven't experimented with other settings, but I will.
In the '870 I use manual AGC and have the control set to the 3 o'clock position
which is on the fast side but not the fastest.

I have not experimented with turning AGC off while backing off the RF gain.
Since I back off the RF gain when using the TPF in the PRO III and have started
backing off the RF gain in the Kenwood, I will try this.

Don AA5AU