Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:34:56 -0800
On Jan 16, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Michael Keane K1MK wrote:

> the bandwidth that contains 99% of the energy i.e, the bandwidth
> such that, below its lower and above its upper frequency limits,
> the mean powers radiated are each equal to 0.5 percent of the total
> mean power radiated by a given emission.

>>> Section 2.202 of the FCC rules specifies that the
>>> necessary bandwidth of an FSK signal is equal to
>>> 1.2 x Shift + BaudRate.

The problem is that the latter definition does not necessarily mean
that the 1% power is maintained.  A poor keying waveshape in an FSK
transmitter can lead to a much wider (as defined by 1% power) signal
than specified under Section 2.202.

If the new bandwidth rules will still allow the use of the (2.202)
formula and allowing us to ignore the 1% formula, then we can comply
(by letter of the rule) by using 45.45 baud (so mechanical teletypes
can still copy) and up to a 128.8 Hz shift.

If we call it 115 to 125 Hz shift, that will allow some slack in baud
rate inaccuracy (how precise are bit timings from mechanical
teletypes, anyone?) and also shift inaccuracies (FSK on rigs like the
Omni V and VI can drift over temperature and time).

Now, this does not mean that we are complying by the spirit of the
rules (as W6WRT mentioned, perhaps the new rules are being written
with the hope of giving CW ops some RTTY-free spectrum).

> Below 10m: symbol rate <= 300 bauds; shift <= 1 kHz.

Hope the "free software" guys don't complain if they can't copy me
while I am testing with odd baud rates and shifts :-) :-)

73
Chen, W7AY