Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?

To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] uh, what about spectrum?
From: Peter Laws <plaws0@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 12:13:58 -0600
On 1/16/06, Michael Keane K1MK <k1mk@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> Section 2.202 of the FCC rules specifies that the necessary bandwidth
> of an FSK signal is equal to 1.2 x Shift + BaudRate. Under this
> proposal a 45 baud RTTY signal at 170 Hz shift would be considered to
> have a bandwidth of 249 Hz by rule.
>
> So yes, under the proposal US stations would not be allowed to
> transmit RTTY in the 3520-3525 KHz area or below 7030 KHz or below
> 3580 KHz. That the rulemaking petition chose 200 Hz and not 250 Hz or
> 300 Hz  was not entirely arbitrary.

So if we changed shift to 125 Hz, assuming that still allows 45.45
Baud, we'd be able to transmit right to the bottom of the band, right?

--
Peter Laws | N5UWY/9 | plaws0 gmail | Travel by Train!

"They that can give up essential Liberty to
obtain a little temporary safety deserve
neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin