Re: [RTTY] Telnet/Packet and the RTTY RU

To: <morris_karen@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Telnet/Packet and the RTTY RU
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 13:07:27 -0500
Oh, don't get me wrong, Dennis. I think the rules for multi-ops in the
Roundup are perfectly *fair*, that's not the issue. The point for me is
that they result in a contest that can be *boring* for multi-ops.

Consider this scenario: two of you drive to a distant contest station
location at the height of winter, and when you get there you each only get
12 hours of operation out of 30 (even less if there are three or more of
you). There is almost nothing for you to do the rest of the time; there
isn't even a realistic possibility of a multiplier radio. About the most
you can do is tune across a second band with a receiver and load up the
bandmap with unworked running stations, which seems to be a part-time and
not particularly fulfilling occupation for an experienced operator. Even
the excitement of finding a juicy new multiplier for the main operator is
greatly reduced both by the multiplier rules and by the band-change rule.
As compared with the excitement of a multi-two or multi-multi, or of a
full-time single-op (whether SO1R or SO2R), this seems pretty tame.

If one of you has some other work to do around the station for the weekend,
you would probably have more fun letting one operator do a full-out
single-op while the other one did repair and maintenance work (further
south I would say antenna work, too, but not here in Ontario in January!)

Understand also, I am not complaining, and I don't particularly want a
change. For me, this contest is one of the most attractive on the calendar
as a single-op, but it is just not very interesting to me as a multi-op
opportunity, as compared with, say, the WPX RTTY a month later.

No problem, there are still several interesting ways to view this contest -
as a very good single-op contest, as an opportunity to give new operators a
chance to try RTTY, or just as a shakedown opportunity for new hardware and
software (possibly in the checklog category, which is one way to get around
the single-transmitter and band-change limitations). No rule change necessary.

My real point would be that before *any* contest, you need to read the
rules - all of the rules - carefully, analyze the rules in order to
determine what operating category, style and strategy are best suited to
the contest, and make your plans accordingly. In the case of the Roundup,
if a group of a few RTTY operators is looking for a chance for an all-out
multi-operator entry (an RTTY equivalent of the ARRL International DX
contests), this just plain isn't it. So be it, and vive la difference!

73,
Rich VE3IAY