Re: [RTTY] Ready to try rtty

To: Kn5h <kn5h@earthlink.net>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Ready to try rtty
From: Bill Turner <dezrat1242@ispwest.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:50:31 -0700
At 02:46 PM 10/27/2005, Kn5h wrote:

>after 30+ years of contesting, Iam ready to go digital. Please your
>opinion on best software for my laptop. 73 de kn5h

You have already gotten some good advice regarding USB to serial port
converters, so I won't repeat that. What I would recommend is getting
started in this order:

1. Read everything on AA5AU's website. Don is focused more on
WriteLog instead of N1MM, but most of the principles are the same,
and his section on MMTTY is excellent.

2. Download and install MMTTY version 1.65D from
http://mmhamsoft.ham-radio.ch/mmtty/. MMTTY is free and it will be
the heart of your RTTY system. Read the entre manual and help file.
Choose whether to run AFSK or FSK and get it running first by itself.
(FSK is preferred if your rig supports it. Most do.)  MMTTY is not a
contesting program but it does Dxing and ragchewing very well.

3. Make a few QSOs to get the feel of RTTY. Work some DX, do some ragchewing.

4. Download and install N1MM logger, which IS a contesting program,
and integrate it with MMTTY. N1MM is free. Get it from
http://www.n1mm.com/  Read the entire manual and help file.

5. Practice making some dummy contest QSOs, then jump right in on the
next RTTY contest.

All of this will take some time so don't plan to do it all in one
day. Go step by step and get everything working before going to the
next step.

Most important: Ask questions! The folks on this reflector love to
help. :-) We've all been there ane we know what you are going through. Ask!!

73, Bill W6WRT