Re: [RTTY] Ready to try rtty

To: "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Ready to try rtty
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:15:04 -0000
From: "Kn5h" <kn5h@earthlink.net>
To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:46 PM
Subject: [RTTY] Ready to try rtty

> after 30+ years of contesting, Iam ready to go digital. Please your
> opinion on best software for my laptop. 73 de kn5h

Hose,

Welcome to RTTY! The mode is a natural for so2r! I use Writelog, with
the embedded MMTTY rtty decoder, and am quite happy with it. I hear a
lot of good comments on N1MM/MMTTY also, but haven't tried it. A prime
requisite on the logging software is to be able to use a database of
RTTY callsigns, such as AA5AU's, to pick a valid callsign out of a
string of garbage. Writelog does this very well. I don't know about
N1MM. Maybe someone else can comment on that. I'd be interested in
knowing.

For so2r, your laptop will need four serial ports for rig control and
fsk keying of two rigs. Here is a recent posting from W7RY that might
be of interest:
------------------
W7RY writes:
Folks. I have some good news regarding USB-> serial converters.
I have just tried an Inside Out Networks Edgeport 8 with Writelog and
my
laptop. It works 100%. Even using one of the serial ports with MMTTY
and
FSK keying.  I'm sure it would work with a desktop computer as well.
They are even a little cheaper than a Rocketport or Equinox internal
card.

Check out EBay for the converter.

Good luck!

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL