Re: [RTTY] Unshifted Numbers

To: rtty@contesting.com, NB1B <nb1b@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Unshifted Numbers
From: Ekki Plicht <ep@plicht.de>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 23:24:05 +0100
On Monday 14 February 2005 23:01, NB1B wrote:
> Being a relative newbie to RTTY contesting, I made (for me) a startling
> discovery this weekend.
[about shifted and unshifted figures]

Congrats! You just found for yourself what many TTYers had to learn somewhen.
Just look at your keyboard and relate the figures on top to the letter below
and a little to the right. This will show you what 3 stands for.

Jeff explained it much better than I could.

Up to date software should be able to 'understand' that TOO OQO OQO stabnds
for 599 010 010. At least the software I use doesn't care whether the
received report is shifted properly or not.

It has been discussed at great lengths here and elsewhere how to design a
contest exchange to minimize that problem. That's why many people send report
exchanges like 599-010-010-010

UE,
Ekki, DF4OR