Re: [RTTY] USB to Serial adapters

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] USB to Serial adapters
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:25:42 -0400
If you are looking for a USB to serial adapter that will support 5-bit Baudot characters, you may have difficulty.

However, if you are using MMTTY, you can download the comfsk105.zip file from the MMTTY website (http://mmhamsoft.ham-radio.ch/mmtty/index.html) and see if you can get that working. If your USB adapter will do DTR and RTS switching for CW and PTT, then with the extfsk dll from the comfsk105.zip file you should be able to make FSK work. I cannot tell you whether it will work from inside your contesting program, other than to point out that even with MMTTY stand-alone it cannot be on the same serial port as the one you are using for rig control.

Worth a try, perhaps?

I did a short try with a temporary lashup a few months back to confirm that it would work with my system, but since then I have not yet gotten around to wiring up a more permanent interface, so except for a few short tests I am still on AFSK. Has anyone been using the extfsk dll seriously, and if so with which software (other than stand-alone MMTTY)?

73,
Rich VE3IAY