Re: [RTTY] FT1000MP is FSK.

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FT1000MP is FSK.
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:31:57 +0100
Kok Chen wrote:
My mistake for saying the FT1000MP is not direct FSK -- it is. Thanks to Ian, G3SEK for pointing it out to me.

I just got back to the home QTH so I could check the schematics. The FSK keying signal of the MP (original MP, not the Mark V) goes directly to the CPU and from there to the local RF DDS (digital synthesizer).

On the other hand, the FT-990's FSK keying signal does go though an independent AFSK generator (and there is a pot for adjusting the audio level on the way to the balanced modulator).

So, bottom line: FT-990 is keyed-FSK (i.e., internally AFSK) and FT-1000MP is FSK.

It also seems likely that the Mark V and the MkV Field also generate true FSK in the same way, by directly programming the carrier DDS... but please can owners of these rigs confirm from the detailed schematics? Look for a module labeled "CAR DDS" near the center of the schematic for the AF board. If it's there, the MkV and Field will be true FSK like the original MP.

The detailed schematics seem to be the only level of information we can trust, short of eyeballing the actual AF boards of these rigs, so someone please confirm!

We now know that the RTTY information in the original MP User Manual contains too much cut-and-paste from the manuals for older models. The instructions in the original MP manual about adjusting the MIC gain control in FSK mode are not valid - and the MIC gain control does nothing in reality either. These instructions are gone from the MkV User Manual.

Now the not-so-good news: tuning away from my MP's FSK signal on a second receiver, the keying transitions sound harder (and spread wider) than I'd like. If it generates FSK by directly programming the carrier DDS, how the heck can we soften the keying transitions?

--
73 from Ian G3SEK