RE: [RTTY] ARRL Proposal to redefine subbands by bandwidth

To: "'Robert McGwier'" <rwmcgwier@comcast.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [RTTY] ARRL Proposal to redefine subbands by bandwidth
From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:44:34 -0400
Hi, Bob.

Pactor I and II have bandwidths of <500hz, which according to the table
near the bottom of http://www.arrl.org/announce/bandwidth.html means
these semi-automatic modes could be used in any of the following
frequency ranges: 3580 to 4000, 7035 to 7300, 10120 to 10150, 14065 to
14350, 18100 to 18168, 21080 to 21450, 24920 to 24990, and 28050 to
29700.

WinLink 2000 uses Pactor II, and thus could be used in any of the above
frequency ranges; see http://winlink.org/SCS.HTM .

I also thought Pactor I and II were "wide modes", but they are not; see
http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~signals/FFT/PACTOR-II_FEC.HTML . The
SCS PTC-II manual specifies Pactor II's bandwidth as being less than 500
hz at -50 db.

Pactor III is indeed a wide mode, with a bandwidth of ~2.1 khz as shown
in http://people.wiesbaden.netsurf.de/~signals/FFT/PACTOR-III-16.HTML.
It would be restricted in frequency range as you suggest below.

    73,

        Dave, AA6YQ