[RTTY] PK232 Wordout Problem Revisited (hopefully w/o the Rich TextAttac

To: "RTTY" <RTTY@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: [RTTY] PK232 Wordout Problem Revisited (hopefully w/o the Rich TextAttachment)
From: "Bob Wanderer" <aa0cy@QUADNET.NET>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:12:54 -0400

PK232 & RTTY Experts:

Thanks for the suggestions.  Based on the replies, I think
the problem may have been misunderstood or misinterpreted.
I took some copious notes while testing last night.  Maybe
they will assist the knowledgeable in figuring out what
might be done to resolve the problem.  It really isn't a
major problem as long as I can "type ahead."  That's fairly
easy in CW, but more difficult in RTTY.  However, I can see
some slight advantage (as long as I'm typing ahead) to be
able to correct a misspelled word prior to transmission.

There's no hole in the bottom of the unit.  Inside, however,
there is what I assume to be a lithium battery (a round,
flat disc) behind the Radio 1/2 switch.  There's a "jumper
prong", JP1, between the battery and the switch; it's open.
The PK232 schematic I have indicates that this engages or
disengages the battery for back-up, so the battery is not
engaged.  Since the unit has got to be over a dozen years
old by now, the battery probably is dead anyway.
Regardless, it appears to me that backed up settings isn't
an issue.

1) Turn on radio (FT-1000/D), TNC, and computer (old 486).

2) The top two and bottom two most left-hand LEDs turn on
and then turn off.  Then only the Baudot LED is lit.

3) Computer runs DOS PC Pakratt II software.  Initialize
TNC.  Baudot LED turns off, CMD and PKT LEDs turn on.

4) Go into dumb terminal mode (As an aside, the fast init
and re-init after leaving dumb terminal mode parameters are
both disabled)

5) Dumb terminal displays Host Now OFF.  Next line is CMD:
(CMD and PKT LEDs still lit, all others unlit)  (Note:
entering ^C creates a CMD: on the screen)

6) Type "Wordout" <enter> at CMD: prompt.  Get back "WOrdout
OFF" and, on the next line, CMD:  (Don't know how to use
dumb terminal for anything else [like sending and receiving
Baudot] to see if wordout is active or inactive in that
mode).  Hit escape to leave dumb terminal mode.

(DESPITE DUMB TERMINAL DISPLAY, HOWEVER, AS PER BELOW,
WORDOUT IS NOT OFF OPERATIONALLY)

7) Enter Baudot screen.  CMD and BAUDOT LEDs lit.  All
others unlit.

8) Hit F3 (transmit).  SEND LED now lit.  No RTTY
transmission (just diddle) until <enter> or spacebar hit.
When either of these two keys are hit, CONV LED illuminates
briefly (during the time the key is depressed).  ^D
(embedded stop transmitting [F4]) also causes CONV to flash.
The SEND LED goes off when F4 or ^D is sent.

The file pkdef_.cfg is mostly hieroglyphics.  The file
pkdef_.def is data, but no indication what specific
parameter the various ONs and OFFs refer to.

I have tried turning wordout to on, thinking maybe something
in the code was "reversed", but no joy.  Wordout is on
regardless of what the dumb terminal indicates.

Any ideas?

Thanks & 73,
Bob AA0CY