Re: [RTTY] fluttered signals

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] fluttered signals
From: "Ian White, G3SEK" <G3SEK@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:37:09 +0100
Bill Turner wrote:
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:34:18 -0000, Jacques RAMBAUD wrote:

-Is there any other way , or RTTY decoder that are better in this respect , how old TU with discrete filters (88mh) works ?
-Are the KAM or PK232 better ?

In my experience, MMTTY is much better than the KAM or the HAL DXP-38,
and from what others say, likewise much better than the PK232.

There is a soundcard program called RITTY by K6STI which performs better
than MMTTY, but not by a huge margin.  It is not free - $100.00 -  and
requires MS-DOS and certain ISA-only soundcards, but it is the best of
the commonly available RTTY decoders.  The very high-end HAL products
such as the ST-8000 may or may not be superior to RITTY but I've not had
a chance to test them side by side.

When I operate RTTY contests, I have my main logging computer running
MMTTY and a second computer with the same audio feed running RITTY.
What MMTTY misses, RITTY often gets.  It is rarely the other way around.

Anyone care to share their favorite MMTTY setups (including the details)? I'm experimenting with dual instances of MMTTY, but can't see any really consistent differences.

Also, a friend has a shiny PK-232 that has been sitting unused for years... if I made him an offer and did the RTTY conversions, would it be worth the money and effort?