[RTTY] Friend Files

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Friend Files
From: Marty Tippin <nw0l@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 09:04:12 -0800 (PST)
If you're going to use a "Friend" file in a RTTY contest, how about checking to
see that the names in the file are actually correct?

I can't tell you the number of times I saw "HI TRISHA" and "HI MARTIN" during
the Roundup when people called me. Unfortuately, neither of those is a name any
friends would call me - TRISHA is the name of the former holder of my callsign
and MARTIN is what my mother calls me.

Seems to me the intention of the "Friend" file is so you can easily say "hi" to
other operators who are actually your friends without having to stop and type
it by hand. If it's degenerated into a huge list of the name of every known
callsign, it sort of loses its usefulness.

73 de NW0L
(temporarily stranded in North Dakota. -15F temps aren't friendly to
diesel-powered trucks...)