Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [RTTY] ANARTS not requiring the / ?
From: aa0cy at quadnet.net (Bob Wanderer)
Date: Wed Jun 11 19:47:45 2003
This has been an issue in DXing too.  For Bill it should not
be a major problem as he is a W7 residing in W6 and
propagation should be the same regardless of call area, so
signing /6 probably gains nothing and may actually lose
because there will probably be more W6's in the pileup than
W7's, assuming the DX station is going by call areas.

It is more of a problem when a 9 is now in 4-land, or a 0 is
3-land; i.e. when propagation is probably not going to be
equal between the two call areas.  Depending on whether the
DX is European/Africa or Pacific/Asia, the 0/3 is going to
be, respectively, stronger or weaker than the "real"
0-landers.  Regardless, one should decide whether to be a 0
calling with other 0's or a /3 calling with other 3's, but
not both.  On the other hand, as Phil pointed out, sometimes
you get slammed for doing the 0/3 and/or 0/0, so you just
can't win.

In the "good old days," you had to get a call representative
of the new call area if you moved (and start DXCC and WAS
all over again if the distance between old and new QTH's
exceeded a specific mileage).  Too bad you can't legally
have more than one call (registered to you specifically; I'm
not talking about all those [often bogus] radio clubs,
etc.).  That would, perhaps, solve the problem of signing /.

73,
Bob AA0CY/3