[RTTY] SO2R (again)

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] SO2R (again)
From: wa0sxv at mellinger.com (Mike Mellinger WA0SXV)
Date: Fri Jan 24 15:39:59 2003
I will never really understand the SO2R debate.  Nor the bizarre rule
changes that take place to try and stop it.

It is as if the anti-SO2R group would suddenly win major contests simply
because the current winners are all SO2R and the only reason they win is
SO2R.

I find this pretty insulting to the top people in the contests.  Guys like
AA5AU have the experience, rigs, antennas, location, propagation knowledge,
strategy, and attitude to win the contest.  The SO2R just increases their
score.  And it probably makes the RTTY contest a bit less boring.

Personally, I find stacked antennas on a 100 foot tower a whole lot more
intimidating than competing against an SO2R.

What we really need is a limited class where those of us with verticals and
mountains between us and Europe can compete without the dedicated contest
stations and their multiple antennas and towers.  Or maybe a "varsity" and
"junior varsity" class based on past performance.

SO2R doesn't automatically put you in the top ten finishers.  If you do have
what it takes to make the top ten then SO2R might change your ranking.

73,
Mike WA0SXV