[RTTY] Re DE and K

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Re DE and K
From: Phil.Cooper@cwgg.cwplc.com (Phil Cooper)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2003 09:38:34 -0000
Hi all,

As you all know, Writelog doesn't always need the DE, providing the call is
in the DTA file, or you have worked that call before, but I used WF1B for a
long time, and that does need the DE before it will highlight a call.

We all have different views on what is right, or what is needed, and that is
fine.

As for what to put at the end, well, I guess that depends on what/when.
If you are responding to a CQ call, then MAYBE the K isn't necessary. You
probably aren't the only one calling this guy either.
I have been experimenting with buffers with and without the DE and the K,
and it really depends on the situation.
In a pile-up for a DX station, then it might just pay to send your call
straight away, no DE and no K.

If you are calling CQ, then PLEASE end your CQ call with a CQ, TEST, or
something sensible, and NOT "PSE KKKK" as so often happens.
If I am in S&P mode, then I have to sit and watch to see whether that was a
CQ call, a reply to a CQ, or even part of the exchange.

I always use CR+LF and a space at the beginning and end of each buffer. I am
sure there are times when that is maybe not the best, but in the majority of
cases, it is much neater.

Some guys also need to take note of the KN at the end of my exchange buffer!
All too often, when sending an exchange with the KN at the end, I get folk
calling me. All that does is slow the whole thing down, and is a real pain
if it isn't my frequency.

Lastly, during the Roundup, I was calling CQ on about 14.102, and had a nice
little run going for a while, but then had a big pile of calls (all EU
stations) all at once (maybe I had been spotted). I was about to respond to
the one call I had seen, but the others then just kept calling in sequence,
one after another! No space for me to get in at all!
In the end, I just moved up a bit, and started calling CQ again.

73 all, and remember - IT IS A HOBBY!
de Phil GU0SUP

and intended solely for the use of the individual to whom
they are addressed. If you have received this email in error
please notify the author immediately and delete it, together
with all copies, from your system.  You are unauthorised to
directly, or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print or copy
any part of this message if you are not its intended recipient.
 Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent those of
Cable and Wireless Guernsey.

Information held on any of Cable and Wireless Guernseys'
computer systems is the property of Cable and Wireless Guernsey.
Cable and Wireless Guernsey reserves the right to monitor
and review the content of all information, messages and
attachments sent to or from this e-mail address.