[RTTY] [TCG] W0ETC WAE RTTY

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] [TCG] W0ETC WAE RTTY
From: llindblom@juno.com (Larry L Lindblom)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:55:25 +0000
I played in WAE RTTY for about 7.5 hours to test out a new amplifier.
When I purchase my AL 800H in the 90's I was primarily into SSB and some
CW contesting.  Since then I moved into RTTY.  The AL 800H is a good
legal limit amp on SSB and CW.  However, on RTTY a few hours at more than
900 Watts output would trip the heat sensor in the transformer.  Adding
two external high volume fans (one pushing air in one suck it out) meant
I could run 1100 watts and not trip the heart sensor, but more than that
for 2 hours was still a problem.
Anyway, five weeks back I decided to shop for an early Christmas present
in the form of a legal limit continuous duty amp.  After reading all
reviews I could get my hands on the Alpha 99 was my choice.  All I can
say is it ran solidly at full legal limit with out a hick up under heavy
duty CQing.  Alpha offers a 930 day money back guarantee but I doubt I
will be taking advantage of it.  The AL 800H is now the back up amp. This
 means I need to replace a fried grid choke (?) in the TL 922 and sell
it.
My best catch was S21YY on 15 meters.  He was CQing with virtually no
takers.
Unfortunately WAE RTTY always comes at a time of year when I can't give
it a real effort nut here is the breakdown on 7.5 Hrs

QSOs QTCs Multipliers
80m: 6 0 8
40m: 18 0 21
20m: 80 30 44