[RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY operation in ARRL's Field Day exercise?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 17:36:23 -0000
On 24 Jun 2002 Dave Barr RDS Inc wrote:

>  (W2UP may have a
> > > comment on that.)
> > <snip>
> > > Dave, K2YG
> > > New Providence ARC - N2XJ/qrp
> > >
> > Barry wrote:
> > I hadn't planned on commenting, but since invited... :.)
> > I agree that PSK31 has a slower data rate. However, for less than
> > one line of text, it's really insignificant.
> > So why is it less efficient? Unlike the TOR modes and Clover,
> > there's no synching involved. You tune the station in, and the print
> > starts. It may be less efficient because most PSK31 ops are not
> > contesters and start with your call x 3, etc, just like most FD ops. I
> > was the CW op (no RTTY) from W2ZQ (2A SNJ) on Saturday
> > afternoon. Most that called me sent my call 2-3 times, their call 2-3
> > times, etc. That doesn't mean the mode is inefficient. It means the
> > op is.
> >
> > Writelog's PSK module is less user-friendly than a waterfall-type
> > program such as Digipan. If someone wrote a MMTTY-like interface
> > for Digipan, I bet many of the anti-PSK contesters will change their
> > minds. Or, am I missing something else about the mode?
> >
> > 73,
> > Barry
> > --
> > Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet: w2up@mindspring.com
> > Newtown, PA                     Frankford Radio Club
> >

> Hi Barry.
>
> In all fairness, I must admit that my digipan/laptop/K2 and qrp
> combination seems not to be very good at acquiring good copy on psk very
> quickly.  While the setup works very well on RTTY, it may be that the
> operator (heh heh) is not very accomplished at psk, and the settings for
> automatic or frequency control and tracking are not being used
> properly.  I often don't get print on someone coming back to me after
> their CQ until after he has sent my call.  This is obviously a problem.
>
> You are absolutely correct that we do need an easily used piece of
> software that will log contest style, with immediate dupe notification,
> for rtty and psk jointly.  Hope someone with some smarts can come  up
> with something.  Until then, digital at Field Day will remain the
> unpopular kid in class, despite the interest it always raises from
> cw/ssb types who have never tried it.
>
> Also, I think that your experience with hearing your FD call so much
> before the calling station signs is due to the large number of Hams
> without contesting experience who operate on Field Day because it is a
> friendly environment, and newcomers are usually welcomed.  This is a
> good thing.  Because I provided the SSB/Digital station for our 2A
> operation, I ended up working a lot more SSB than I wanted to (I like CW
> much more).  During that operation, I was amazed at the number of
> operators who, after we replied to their CQ FD, would acknowledge our
> call, and then turn it back to us without giving their exhange info.  It
> [...]

Hi Dave,
I'm not sure what to say about printing PSK. With Digipan I just click on
the trace and it prints! Maybe your audio level isn't correct, or your
filters are too tight and/or IF shift off. When I copy PSK, I set the filters
as on SSB (2.0 KHz) Only if there is one very loud guy swamping the
AGC do I go narrower.
73 Barry--