RFI

Re: [RFI] shielded Ethernet cable, or not

To: Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] shielded Ethernet cable, or not
From: Joseph Bouchard <joek1vw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 19:51:00 -0400
Hi,

I had some RFI from Ethernet cable.  I don’t remember all the details, when
Covid hit I ran a 50’ CAT 5e the length of the house to a new access point and
some RFI started showing up that I could not kill with toroids.  I bought a new
50’ CAT 8 cable to replace it, which has shielding for each twisted pair I
believe, and the RFI disappeared.  I still have cat 6 for short jumper cables,
but if I was going to do any long runs between rooms, etc., I would use CAT 8.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Joe K1VW