RFI

Re: [RFI] shielded Ethernet cable, or not

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] shielded Ethernet cable, or not
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2024 12:16:58 -0700
Some VERY important concepts, Laws of Physics-related.

A connection to Mother Earth has NOTHING to do with killing noise. Quoting the late Neil Muncy, W3WJE, who exposed "The Pin One Problem," as well as serious manufacturing issues with standard audio "rack cable" that made them susceptible to RFI, "The Earth is not a sump into which noise is poured.

The shield is NOT a "Ground." For shielding to be effective, it must be continuous, and connected DIRECTLY to the shielding enclosure at each end AT THE POINT OF ENTRY. Failure to do so is "The Pin One Problem," and as Neil predicted to me in bar conversation around 2003, it is the primary mechanism coupling RF noise into and out of sources.

My neighbor, N6TV, an IBM retiree who is also a serious contester, swears by shielded CAT cable. I've never used it -- but for reasons related to lightning protection, I use WiFi in place of wired Ethernet. I can do that because I don't need the speed and more stable latency for my operation.

A discussion of the issues associated with lightning protection is part of this slide deck pdf addressing Grounding and Bonding for hams. http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf Don't let the word "audio" in the title throw you -- it's 99% about Lightning Protection and EMC. It started out in 2014 for talks I did at Pacificon and Visalia, and was updated a few months ago for a talk to the Northern California Contest Club. Most of its content was made part of N0AX's ARRL books on the topic of Grounding and Bonding, to which I contributed extensively.

73, Jim K9YC