RFI

[RFI] power line noise

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] power line noise
From: Tom Cox via RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2024 17:11:29 -0500
Hey, All,

I have one or more strong power line noise sources that appeared in the last couple of months.

The equipment that passes my house is relatively new (2015-16), but the noise has appeared after several episodes of storm damage that required repairs beginning back in the spring.

I had a nice conversation with the local COOP manager, but he was not interested in borrowing the people and equipment from another local utility to hunt down the problem(s). He left me with a caution that AM radio is dying, and that I should switch to broadband to hear what I want to from there. I didn't even get into being licensed and interested in getting back on HF, because that didn't seem to be on his radar, pardon the radio pun.

Anyway, If I can isolate whatever source is making AM difficult -- even for a 50KW station about 35 miles away -- he promised that he would send a crew out to examine the nearest poles. I am inclined to believe him.

Now I need some suggestions on a handheld receiver that will let me use VHF or UHF, on AM or SSB, with a Yagi that will narrow down the source. I am a geezer on a limited budget, but I would look at $200 or a little more, especially if I could use it to play with later.

Suggestions welcome.

Tom, KA5NEE
Rural, Middle TN