RFI

[RFI] USB port closing

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] USB port closing
From: Martin Sole <hs0zed@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2022 13:50:22 +0300
Hi,

I'm writing this for a friend. He has an Icom IC-7610 connected to a laptop running Win4Icom. At anything over about40 watts it doesn't take many FT8 transmit cycles before Win4Icom will report a connection error,the error log shows port closed and the author's statement in the alert box that appears is that this is most likely caused by RFI. Accordingly, we want to deploy suitable ferrite on the USB cables. My thinking is that 3 to 4 turns around one of the medium or large type 31 snap on's that DX engineering sells, at each end of the USB cable, would be a good start.

Is my thinking here sound or are there other things we should try first?

Thanks
Martin HS0ZED