Propagation

[Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Ap

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation+Space Weather] The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Apr 07 19:07 UTC
From: nw7us@sunspotwatch.com
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 19:07:37 +0000
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

The following is the weekly propagation bulletin from W1AW / ARRL (posting on 20210407 19:07 UTC):

QST de W1AW Propagation Forecast Bulletin 14 ARLP014 >From Tad Cook, K7RA Seattle, WA April 2, 2021 To all radio amateurs

SB PROP ARL ARLP014 ARLP014 Propagation de K7RA

Average daily sunspot numbers declined this week from 17.9 to 11.9. Why? Because on the final two days of the March 25-31 reporting week sunspots disappeared. That's right. We're back to the blank Sun again, unfortunately.

Spaceweather.com reported on Wednesday that we may soon see a potential sunspot currently on the far side of our Sun. They presented this image:

https://bit.ly/39vq54y

Average daily solar flux dropped from 78.6 to 77.4. Geomagnetic indicators softened as well, with average daily planetary A index declining from 13.3 to 8.9, and middle latitude A index from 10.4 to 7.7.

Predicted solar flux over the next month does not look promising, with values way down in the seventies, although this forecast improved some over the past couple of days. Expect 10.7 cm flux at 73 on April 2-3, 71 on April 4-9, 73 on April 10-13, 74 on April 14-16, 76 on April 17-24, 75 on April 25-27, then 74 and 73 April 28-29, and 72 on April 30 through May 5.

Predicted planetary A index is 5 on April 2-5, 8 on April 6-7, then 5, 10 and 20 on April 8-10, then 5 on April 11-15, then 20 and 18 on April 16-17, 8 on April 18-19, 5 on April 20-21, 8 on April 22-24, 12 on April 25, 8 on April 26-27, 5 on April 28-30, then 8 on May 1-2, 5 on May 3-4 and 12 on May 5-7.

Geomagnetic activity forecast for the period April 2 to 27, 2021 from OK1HH. 'Geomagnetic field will be: quiet on: April 12-13, 24-26 quiet to unsettled on: April 5, 14, 23 quiet to active on: April (2-7, 15, 20-22, 27) unsettled to active: April (8, 11, 18-19) active to disturbed: April (9-10,) 16-17 'Solar wind will intensify on: April 3, (4-5, 8-9,) 10-11, (12, 16-17,) 18, (19-22, 27). 'Remarks: - Parenthesis means lower probability of activity enhancement. - Predictability of changes remains very low, as there are ambiguous and quickly changing indications.'

Here is an article from 'The Irish Times' about space weather and the sinking of the Titanic:

https://bit.ly/3fB9joK

NN4X reported a 15 meter long path opening to Asia: 'Nice opening to Asia here in Central Florida on the morning of 4/1/2021.

'On FT8, I worked BA7LP, YD7ACD, BG7PHA, and VR2VLY, and heard 9V1PL and BD7LMA.

'It was very concentrated - note no JA/HL/DU. Typically, I've been seeing more YBs than anything on 15M LP, but certainly not today.

'Anyway, it's all great fun, and I thought I'd pass it along!'

Many years ago we reported in this bulletin results JQ2UOZ was getting running 1/2 watt using simple wire antennas on his apartment balcony. Check out his blog:

https://jq2uoz.blogspot.com

Another blast from the past on flares and CMEs:

https://bit.ly/2QP6c1R

An article in 'The Conversation' about predicting space weather:

https://bit.ly/2PrlTMt

An article about why we are still hearing about that Carrington Event - even after all these years - can be found here:

https://bit.ly/3uimA9Q

AL7LO has a collection of his favorite ARRL Propagation Forecast Bulletins, and he shared this one recently from 8 years ago:

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive/ARLP001/2013

If you would like to make a comment or have a tip for our readers, please email the author at, k7ra@arrl.net .

For more information concerning shortwave radio propagation, see http://www.arrl.org/propagation and the ARRL Technical Information Service web page at, http://arrl.org/propagation-of-rf-signals. For an explanation of numbers used in this bulletin, see http://arrl.org/the-sun-the-earth-the-ionosphere.

An archive of past propagation bulletins is at http://arrl.org/w1aw-bulletins-archive-propagation. More good information and tutorials on propagation are at http://k9la.us/.

Instructions for starting or ending email distribution of ARRL bulletins are at http://arrl.org/bulletins .

Sunspot numbers for March 25 through 31, 2021 were 24, 24, 11, 11, 13, 0, and 0, with a mean of 11.9. 10.7 cm flux was 78.8, 79.6, 80.4, 75.1, 74.4, 79.5, and 73.8, with a mean of 77.4. Estimated planetary A indices were 18, 12, 9, 6, 4, 3, and 10, with a mean of 8.9. Middle latitude A index was 18, 11, 7, 4, 3, 4, and 7, with a mean of 7.7.

https://groups.io/g/propagation-and-space-weather

Spread the word!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Links of interest:

+ Amazon space weather books: http://g.nw7us.us/fbssw-aSWSC
+ https://Twitter.com/NW7US
+ https://Twitter.com/hfradiospacewx

Space Weather and Ham Radio YouTube Channel News:

I am working on launching a YouTube channel overhaul, that includes series of videos about space weather, radio signal propagation, and more.

Additionally, I am working on improving the educational efforts via the email, Facebook, YouTube, Tumblr, and other activities.

You can help!

Please consider becoming a Patron of these space weather and radio communications services, beginning with the YouTube channel:

https://www.patreon.com/NW7US

The YouTube channel:
https://YouTube.com/NW7US

..

The W1AW Weekly Propagation Report - 2021 Apr 07 19:07 UTC