Propagation

Re: [Propagation] Propagation Digest, Vol 88, Issue 3

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Propagation] Propagation Digest, Vol 88, Issue 3
From: Dennis Eckert <den.deb@frontier.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 15:34:06 -0700
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

Hello Wayne,
What primary band (s), power and mode of operation are you planning on
using.  also, another key is what type of antenna you intended to use.
I own ACE-HF propagation software and it can make some suggestions.  But
it would be pretty tedious to run for each month.  Select your most
likely month.  Try http://www.mygeoclock.com/acehf/da1.htm to see more
on ACE-HF.  There is a $150 'mobile' version that you would want for
making predictions from different QTH's.   What would help you most with
this program is that it makes 'movies' so you could get some idea of
which months, bands, etc would be best. Or, you could try to find info
on previous Tonga expeditions and try to contact the operators?
Dennis KB7ST Pacific Northwest

Message: 1 Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 15:37:00 -0400 From: Wayne Willenberg
<wewill747@gmail.com> Subject: [Propagation] Mini-DXpedition to Tonga
To: propagation@contesting.com Message-ID:
<CAPmhc6qgOz+DiwvBkdriJGLSPkJxDwAELA-reCfikv9CisRZHA@mail.gmail.com>
a trip to the Kingdom of Tonga for sometime later this year or early
next year. We have visted Tonga before and loved it. However, I have
seen enough beaches and fish, so my plan (with the encourgement of my
wife) is to make this trip into a small scale DXpedition. Because we are
both retired, the time when we go to Tonga is completely open. So, that
brings me to the reason for my post. How can I determine when is
possibly the best month for propagation to the U.S. and Europe? I know
propagation prediction is not yet an exact science, and regardless of
when we go, we are always at the mercy of the Sun's activity. But, I
would like to maximize my chances of working as many contacts as
possible. Your help would be greatly appreciated.