Propagation

Re: [Propagation] New Sunspot Cycle 24: The Sun Awakens

Subject: Re: [Propagation] New Sunspot Cycle 24: The Sun Awakens
From: "Tomas Hood" <nw7us.heliophile@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 08:12:47 -0600
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Thomas Giella KN4LF
<kn4lf@earthlink.net> wrote:

> KN4LF Says:
>
> Unfortunately the three new sunspot groups are from solar cycle 23. Since
> January 1, 2008 we have seen eleven sunspot groups. Of those eleven ten are
> solar cycle 23 sunspot groups, not a good statistic for those that are
> hoping for a rapid rise in solar cycle 24 activity.
>
> It's good to see some activity occur though. The increase in sunspots really
> improved propagation conditions on 17 and 15 meters yesterday.

Recent flux forecasts put the 10.7-cm level at a possible 95 in the
next day or so.  This is great news.

Regarding my "error of omission" that I'm accused of: I will humbly
let official purists beat me with a wet noodle.  I'm aware that my
omission will cause great grief for those who take my words and hang
the success of their hobbies upon my error.

I stand by my bulletin for the intent; activity is picking up and I
bet that we'll see a gradual and steady increase in activity, now that
we've passed the minimum (regardless of which cycle these sunspots
belong to as defined by polarity).

The sun is active, and it is my opinion that this activity is a sign
of a sun that's "waking up".  That's my point.

Maybe the official observers are not correct in speculating that
February 2008 was the point of minimum.  Perhaps sunspot cycle 23 is
waking back up and we'll see a burst of activity before a real ending
comes.  We'll know, someday.

In any case, I am hearing Europe on 20 meters, PSK31 mode.  I'm
celebrating the new activity.

Amateur Radio Operator, NW7US
Contributing editor:
 CQ Magazine, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://hfradio.org / http://nw7us.spaces.live.com/