Propagation

Re: [Propagation] Basic Propgation Question

To: <propagation@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Propagation] Basic Propgation Question
From: "Thomas Giella KN4LF" <flcyclone@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:59:19 -0500
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

The standard distance for calculating a MUF for a particular path is 4000
km/2485 miles but the digisondes use 3000 km/1864 miles
http://digisonde.haystack.edu/cgi-bin/latest.exe? . The frequency of optimum
traffic (FOT) is approximately 20% below the MUF. The FOT was basically
invented for use by international shortwave broadcasters during the cold war
era and is still in use today.

I personally use the MUF while keeping in mind that minute to minute changes in
ionization via the F1/F2 layer can either refract my signal back to Earth or
let it go out into space.

BTW a nice little piece of software that calculates MUF on a world map is
HFProp v1.3 at http://www.tech-pro.net/g4ilo .

73 & Happy Holidays,
Thomas F. Giella, KN4LF
Lakeland, FL, USA