Propagation

[Propagation] Critical vs MUF

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation] Critical vs MUF
From: Stevenu7t@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:50:41 EDT
Art,
I have referred to the maps as well.  Over the past several years, I have
found the numbered contours to be a reasonable indicator of propagation.  40m
is
open most all of the time beyond the first skip if you see a #7, or higher
contour line at the midpoint of the great circle between you and the target
station.  Also, the time of day between you is between sunset and sunrise, give
or
take, say an hour.
    Remember " most all of the time ".  I have found bands open or
propagationally challenged when the maps suggest otherwise.
     For NVIS operation, the number of contour above you may be significant.

Steve, NU7T