Orion

RE: [Orion] USING ORION'S RECEIVER

To: <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [Orion] USING ORION'S RECEIVER
From: "Tom Whiteside" <tomw@ecpi.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 19:55:30 -0600
Thanks for this great writeup, Sinisa.   This will go in the back of my
Orion manual as part of the documentation!

 I also found that using audio analysis was a great way to center the
filters.    Elecraft has some great application notes on doing this under
application notes on www.elecraft.com.    (They recommend Spectrogram which
works great.)    When I first looked at the Orion's filters, I was shocked
at how non-flat and ugly they looked until I turned NR off.    Do that and
they look wonderful - make sure you do that and also that the DSP bandwidths
are much wider than the filter being adjusted - obvious but thought I'd add
that caution anyway.

I'm still perplexed at what all the Orion is doing when operating under NR
mode but have frankly not used NR much since learning to not overload the
beast following Sinisa's coaching.

Tom Whiteside
N5TW Georgetown, TX