Orion

[Orion] CW parameter starting point

To: orion@contesting.com
Subject: [Orion] CW parameter starting point
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:06:56 -0500
Hi Charlie,

W0YG wrote:
>Does anyone have a good starting point to enter the values on the CW option
of the main menu.  I like QSK but don't know if any delay is necessary.
Also, what about CW Rise/Fall?  Is the factory setting of 5 mS satisfactory?
I looked in the manual which gives some general guidelines but just
wondering if anyone has researched this setting with a scope?

        First I'll state that I dislike QSK for many reasons and just
wish PTT were available on CW.  I much prefer PTT to the Semi-Breakin
which I'm forced to use with Orion.  Given that, here is what I use:

CW QSK Delay - 30% (just sounds better in my monitor)
CW Rise/Fall - 10 mS (for slow speed DXing, 5 mS for contest speeds)
EXT T/R Delay - 90% (for slow speed DXing, 75% for contest speeds)

        I'm concerned about all the bad things happen with QSK when
using an amp, like RF back into the radio, reliability, hot-switching
the amp's relay, etc.  I selected the above delays to hopefully avoid
these problems.  BTW, I did try QSK with my QSK-capable Amp Supply
amplifier, using Amp Supply's recommended method of keying, and I got
reports of noticeably worse clicks, so now I NEVER use QSK.  It might
work fine barefoot but I will never use it with this amp.

        The Rise/Fall time should be set as a function of sending speed,
since you need harder keying at high speeds (>30 WPM).  Of course
this also contributes to wider keyed bandwidth, so I normally use the
softest setting (10 mS) for speeds <30 WPM (i.e. normal DXing).

>Also, sure would be nice if TenTec gave us the option of turning on the
radio and having the spectrum sweep come on automatically.  What else could
possibly go in that blank area at the bottom of the screen?

        I've said the same to Gary AC4DL via ditsnbits@tentec.com.  In
fact, my comment to him was that EVERY setting at power down should
be retained on power up.  SUB AF mute is another issue which should
be addressed.  If you have it ON when you power down, it will come back
as OFF when you power up.  There may be more of these, but IMHO Orion
should come back ON in the identical state you left it when you last
turned it OFF.  Everyone should send their comments to Gary since he is
the one responsible for firmware issues like this.

73, Bill W4ZV