Orion

Re: [Orion] Orion Programmable AGC Problem

To: orion Reflector <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Orion] Orion Programmable AGC Problem
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:13:45 -0600
> This stopped most of the background noise but still
> lets  weak signals get into the system.  The
> Programmable setting is from Scott's article OPTIMAL
> USES OF ORION RECEIVER FOR WEAK SIGNAL
> DXING AND CONTESTING.

It will be interesting to see how the S/M/F settings work for you.

The potential issue you will have with THRESHOLD set in the 20uV
range is that there is no AGC action on signals below that level.  So
a weak signal at a few fractions of a uV for example will indeed
sound "weak".  If you crank up the AF gain as a result you run the
risk of having your headset blown off by the S-9 signal that calls you
next :-)

The lower threshold setting of 1-2 uV or so in your PROG setting will
do a much better job of leveling the signal strength playing field so
to speak.

The more folks that work with these settings for optimal
performance, the more we'll learn.  I think it's been very interesting
so far.

Grant/NQ5T