Orion

[Orion] Orion Programmable AGC Problem

To: "At Contesting.com Orion" <orion@contesting.com>
Subject: [Orion] Orion Programmable AGC Problem
From: "Ken & Linda Burrough" <w8keb@1st.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:14:15 -0500
Hi All

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the reflector about the Programmable
AGC.  A Friend suggested I post my settings on the reflector after he set up
his Orion with the settings I sent him.

I do not like high back ground noise when operating CW.  Here are the settings
I us as of today.  On the Slow, Med and High  AGC settings the only difference
is the Decay setting.  This stopped most of the background noise but still lets
weak signals get into the system.  The Programmable setting is from Scott's
article OPTIMAL USES OF ORION RECEIVER FOR WEAK SIGNAL DXING AND CONTESTING.  I
have it set of Contesting since the CQ WW is on this weekend.

Slow
Hang=00.00---Decay=5dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Med
Hang=00.00---Decay=20dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Fast
Hang=00.00---Decay=80dB/s---Threshold=21.28uv

Prog
Hang=00.00---Decay=20dB/s---Threshold=01.00uv

My settings should be used as an starting place.  Go from here and find the
settings you like, but I hope this will take some of the worry out of the Orion
AGC settings.  The only difference in the Slow, Med and Fast settings is the
Decay, the Decay gets faster as you go up in the settings.  In the Programmable
setting the Threshold setting I used will let you hear some of if not most of
the band noise.

These settings will not be for everyone but give them a try, who knows, you may
like them.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio
w8keb@arrl.net