RE: [Karlnet] PCAnywhere - HOWTO

To: <karlnet@WISPNotes.com>
Subject: RE: [Karlnet] PCAnywhere - HOWTO
From: "Jace Jenkins" <jjenkins@t-speed.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:21:36 -0500
Ports must be unique to do any type of external ---> internal port
mappings. This is a limitation of PAT. If you think about it logically
how would the radio know where to send traffic to if there was 1 port
definition going to multiple internal hosts? The way you can get around
this is to custom define unique ports for all machines or setup multiple
IP's for NAT.

Just FYI. Most people who have multiple pcAnywhere connections are
basically using it as a poor mans VPN or Terminal Server. The best
solution is to put in a real VPN which can be done with many inexpensive
devices($300). Once a VPN is implemented you can pcAnywhere any pc on
the network, and you don't run the security risk of having a pc public
to the internet. If they need pcAnywhere for a special application,
there are terminal servers out there that do the job better then
pcAnywhere will ever do!

-Jace Jenkins
T-Speed Broadband Communications, Inc.
Network Operations Director